Yes, you read that right. Success is all about self. Self control to be exact. Without self control, you will never be successful.
Let me explain. In life you either practice self control or indulgence. Successful people practice self control. Stuck people indulge their self.
I will share an example from my life that I am currently going through. Right now, I weigh more than I ever have. I want to lose the weight, but I am not having much luck. Why am I struggling with this, you might ask. It’s because I am not exerting self control over this area of my life. I am indulging in foods that are unhealthy, not enough exercise, and not enough sleep. To lose the weight, I need to start controlling my food intake, my exercise and my sleep habits.
|Control diet||Eating whatever I want, as much as I want|
|Exercise more||Not exercising at all|
|Sleep more||Talking on the phone late every night|
Even though this illustration is for weight loss, you can apply the same principal for anything in your life.
Let’s look at a few tips to gain self control.
- Get on offense. Quit trying to resist your urge to indulge and change your life so you want have to resist. In my illustration above, I have replaced my snacks with healthy fruit and vegetables to snack on.
- Stop procrastinating. Quit putting things off. If something needs done, do it now. Inaction itself is an action. You are just acting the same. Do what needs to be done today.
- Create a written action plan. By writing it down, you are giving your changes real strength. When you see the action plan, you are reminded of how important it is to you.
- Get back to basics. Again, looking at my weight problem, I would make sure to eat regular meals, get to bed on time and get up at the same time every day. This would provide the foundation for me to build around.
- Reward yourself when you reach milestones. For me, it could be a banana split or another food item that I have given up.
You can apply these tips to gain self control over your life so that you can have the life you desire and not the life your indulgence has given you.
Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think.