Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
Norman Vincent Peale
This quote could sum up my coaching philosophy. Getting clients to humbly believe in themselves first so that they can be happy and successful.
Why do you need to believe in yourself? When you humbly believe in yourself, you:
- Have a quiet confidence that is contagious
- Have a positive attitude because you understand your strengths
- Are aware that your happiness comes from within, not from superficial things
- Understand that with work and your abilities, you can overcome anything
- Realize what areas you have to work on to continue to grow
You can spot people who believe in themselves. Look for those five traits above and you can be sure that they have a “humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers”.
You can also spot someone who doesn’t believe in themselves. Those people:
- Have an air of cockiness or arrogance
- Have a negative attitude, always finding something wrong
- Surround themselves with superficial things searching for happiness
- Constantly blame others for their plight
- Never see the need to work on themselves, never seem to grow
To me, the first and most important trait to believe in yourself is to realize that you (we all do) have areas that you need to work on. Without this knowledge, we can’t be humble.
Look at your life and see which traits you see in yourself. Ask your family and friends what they see in you.
Leave your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.