Do you claim to be a leader in your life, business or your field of expertise?
I have noticed that many people claim to be leaders, but they don’t have the characteristics that I consider a leader to have. I consider them wannabes instead. A wannabe is someone that basically likes to give instruction or direction, but takes no action on advancing themselves or their business.
Does this describe you, your up-line or someone else on your team? Here are some clues that might help you out:
- A leader praises their team and offers encouragement, inspiration; a wannabe is quick to find fault, slow to give praise and tears down
- A leader holds himself/herself to a higher standard than those around them; a wannabe, while they have a high level of expertise, doesn’t hold himself/herself to higher standard – in fact, he/she holds those around them to a higher standard
- A leader leads by example and is a role model; a wannabe blends in, follows the crowd and leads by direction, not by being an example
- A leader has a deep rooted belief in their vision, leads their team through the growth process to be a balanced, harmonious person in their business and life; a wannabe recruits teammates, expecting others to mentor and lead them through the growth process, doesn’t care about the whole person, only cares about what will benefit the team
- A leader shows integrity, does the right thing regardless the immediate impact; a wannabe does the convenient thing regardless the long-term impact.
Which of these characteristics best describes you and your teammates? Be honest with yourself.
Just remember, that a leader must lead and nourish others through the growth process. A leader can only lead through the growth process if he/she is growing themselves. If the leader is stagnating, the team will be as well.
If he/she loses integrity and fails to take action, then this same failure mindset will ripple down to his/her teammates. It is my opinion that integrity is the most important skill or trait of a leader. Without integrity, the other skills and traits will never mature fully. A team will duplicate their leader and their leader’s actions.
So, let me ask you one last time…Are you a leader or a wannabe?
If you want to be a better leader, check out my leadership programs.